Fuel Yourself With Nutty Banana Granola (No Added Sugar, GF + Vegan!)
Granola has proven over and over again to be the perfect addition to any smoothie, oatmeal bowl, yogurt cup, and my personal favorite…more granola. Though one can’t say enough GOOD things about the different properties of granola–like its dense, abundance of healthy fats, Omega 3s & 6s, and its fiber-rich properties, it has been proven difficult to find a healthy store-bought option. Unfortunately, the added sugars in many commercialized granolas turns customers away. And needless to say, I am with you!
Make your own!
And so, my dear and nutritiously mindful friends, I have devised a quick, banana-bread inspired recipe that is made with only a few nutritious, healthy and all-natural ingredients. Rest-assured, this incredibly simple and delicious recipe will leave you feeling absolutely satisfied and nerve-free when it comes to your favorite go-to snack or breakfast, without any guilt.
Not a banana fan? No problem! Simply substitute the banana for some sweet potato, unsweetened apple sauce, or an over-ripe persimmon if you’re feeling exploratory!
- 1 cup rolled oats (~300 cal)
- 1/4 cup almonds (~160 cal)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces (~200 cal)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (~190 cal)
- 1/8 cup cacao nibs (~90 cal)
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice [cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg] (0 cal)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (~260 cal)
- 1 overripe banana (~105 cal)
- 1/5 teaspoon vanilla extract (0 cal)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients (oats, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, spices) together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller separate bowl, mash 1 overripe banana until smooth (could also blend in order to assure the right consistency).
- Add coconut oil and vanilla extract to the small bowl and microwave for ~30 seconds to warm the oil. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the uncooked granola onto a baking sheet in medium sized tin and bake for roughly 25 - 30 minutes or until fully browned.
- OPTIONAL: If you prefer your granola to be less chunky and more fine, toss the mixture a few times while it is baking in order to separate it. If you prefer your granola to be chunky, do not stir!!
- Once the granola has browned and you are satisfied, remove from the oven and gently toss the granola. Let cool completely and store in an air-tight container/jar. Your granola should last you 2-3 weeks.
- Total calories: ~1305 cals
- Calories per serving (1/2 cup): ~260 cals
- Makes 5-7 servings