Summer Treat: No-Bake + No-Guilt Brownie Bites
Do you remember those brownie bites you could get in the grocery store in the bakery section? I do. I would make my mom buy my a package every. time. Because, WHO can resist brownies? I know I can’t!
I am one of those people that doesn’t have a huge sweet tooth, but sometimes crave something small and sweet after meals. So, I thought I needed to create a guilt-free and satisfyingly sweet bite that’s a go-to dessert, snack or whenever. The base is walnuts, and these bites have added in health benefits.
- 1 1/2 cup halved walnuts
- 3 T cacao powder (I use Philosophie’s Cacao Magic)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 T water (start off with 1/2 T and then add more if needed)
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 T chocolate chips (I use EnjoyLifeFoods because they are dairy free)
- Blend walnuts in food processor until most broken up (do not over blend them or it will become too oily)
- Add in dates and chocolate chips and blend
- Add in all other ingredients and blend until mixture is smooth and will congeal together easily (if not, you may need to add a tiny bit more water)
- Roll into balls and place separate on plate, cutting board, etc
- Freeze balls until hardened (keep in container in freezer or fridge for up to 10 days)
- Optional: roll balls in more cacao, coconut, etc.
- If dough is too dry, start by adding in 1/2 t of water at a time.
Photo: Alisa Anton + author’s own