Ever have those nights where you open the fridge and it’s full but it’s really empty, because nothing is ready and you need food immediately or you might waste away in the kitchen? I feel you. I like to keep a few recipes handy for when life gets crazy–ones that I can throw together in under 10 minutes and still feel nourished.
This plate is packed with protein- from chickpeas and quinoa, and vitamins from the gorgeous Swiss chard. The idea of this meal is very versatile. If you aren’t a fan of Swiss chard, or can’t find it, substitute for spinach or kale. Replace the chickpeas with black or kidney beans, and the quinoa with rice. Make it yours!
This bowl is also gluten free and refined sugar free, so it will fit into everyone’s weeknight meal rotation. I topped mine with crunchy radish, pepitas, and micrgoreens, but any veggie, herb, nut, or seed will do.
I hope this bowl saves you some weeknight meal drama and becomes a part of your family’s weekly meal plan.
- 1 bundle of Swiss chard, washed and rinsed, with stem removed
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 radish, sliced
- Microgreens (optional)
- Handful of pepitas
- 1/4 c. raw tahini
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 3-4 TBS water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Himalayan sea salt
- Black pepper
- Steam the swiss chard leaves in a covered pot for 1-2 minutes, until vibrant green and tender.
- While the greens are cooking, prepare your lemon tahini by combining all ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth.
- To serve, plate the swiss chard leaves with chickpeas, cooked quinoa, radish slices, pepitas and microgreens, and top with lemon tahini.